Passion

The art of classic cooking

Friday 17 October 2014

Mini Apple Pies

Pies - I never knew what they were until a few years ago, while I googled about them when I came across the term in a novel. Even after seeing Tom and Jerry throwing it on each other's faces for as long as I can remember, I never knew about them ( I just thought that Tom and Jerry are throwing some creamy stuff on each other faces :) ). Ever since I learnt about them I couldn't wait to try them. Mainly I wanted to try chocolate pie, They looked rustic, decadent and cute too. And as usual anything with chocolate can never go wrong, right?
I never thought of making Apple Pies. Personally I don't like apple much (actually its little less than hate..) But then when I googled about pies, I saw lot of posts on apple pies. Everybody were gloating about it so much. I couldn't understand at all. Surely they were looking delicious, but why such a big fuss ?! ( they don't even have chocolate in it was my crazy thought :) ) Anyway I decided to give it a go ( I was so curious..) and here are the results..
mini apple pie

Who would have thought I would post the apple pies first instead of chocolate?  Forgive me for I too am going to gloat about it!!!!!
Yes!!
They were awesome as promised. Even I loved the filling. The pastry was so tender and flaky. The apple filling was moist, juicy and caramel flavored with a slight trace of cinnamon. The cinnamon was not overpowering at all. Your home will swim in the warm apple and cinnamon aroma!!!!

mini apple pie


INGREDIENTS:
Recipe reference : here
For the crust:
All Purpose flour ( maida ) - 1 cup
Butter - 5 tbsp ( 71 g, cold and cubed )
Water - 2 to 3 tbsp ( ice cold )
Salt - 1/2 tsp ( or to taste)
Sugar - 2 tsp
For the filling:
Apple - 1 ( big )
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
Cinnamon - a pinch
Flour - 1 tbsp
Nutmeg - a pinch
Lemon juice - 1/4 tsp
Optional:
Milk - 2 tbsp ( for brushing on top )
Sugar - 1 tbsp ( for sprinkling )

METHOD:
1) Whisk the flour, salt and sugar. Add the cold butter cubes. Rub the butter with flour using your fingertips ( you can even use a fork ) till the mixture resembles bread crumbs ( little pea sized butter pieces are ok ).
pic name pic name pic name
2) Now add ice cold water a little at a time till the mixture comes together. You will be needing only a few tablespoons ( I added 2.5 tbsp). Gather the dough into a ball.
pic name pic name pic name
3) Wrap dough in a cling film and let it rest in refrigerator for 1 hour ( minimum 30 minutes). After an an hour, lightly dust the work surface with flour and roll the dough ( not too thin, not too thick). Now cut circles to fit your muffin pan, the circle should be slightly larger than your muffin size ( I just used a bowl )
pic name pic name pic name
4) Lightly grease your muffin pan with oil, and arrange the circles gently on it. Don't stretch the dough much. Using a fork prick the base and put the muffin pan in the refrigerator while preparing the filling. Gather the remaining dough and refrigerate.
pic name pic name pic name
5) For the filling, finely chop the apples. Mix flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Add the chopped apples and lemon juice and mix well.
pic name pic name pic name
6) Spoon the filling in the muffin pan. Roll the remaining dough, and cut circles for the top crust ( little smaller than the first batch). Make small slits using a knife to let out the steam. 
pic name pic name pic name
7) Place the circles on top of filling and gently press the sides to seal. (you can even use milk for sealing). Now Place the prepared muffin pan in fridge for 10 minutes, while preheating the oven to 180 degrees. Finally brush with milk ( optionally you can sprinkle some sugar on top too ) and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or till golden brown.
pic name pic name pic name

Delicious Apple pies are ready !!!!!!

mini apple pie

Enjoy it warm with vanilla ice cream or drizzle some caramel sauce and dive in.......
Look how flaky the crust is!!!!

mini apple pie

NOTES:
1) Make sure the butter is cold. Always keep the pastry dough cold. If you feel the dough is getting warmer just pop in refrigerator for few minutes.
2) To get a flaky crust, don't over work the dough. Over working / kneading will develop gluten, which will result in tougher crust.
3) Try to add little water while making crust.
4) If you do lattice tops, you will get 6 pies, but adjust the filling accordingly as this filling measurement will yield 5 pies only.
5) After the pies cool down, store them in a air tight container.

Cheers,
Sindhiya.S

14 comments:

  1. thanks for coming dear and placing a comment at my place this really looks great ... sweety please add blog followers gadget so we readers can follow your beautiful blog :) lovely apple pies

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious and inviting Apple pie...well explained recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike, I adore apples but not chocolates. So, that I am sure will give you an indication on how much I love these mini apple pies. Awesomely adorable and definitely the bells are ringing for me to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I am waiting for another opportunity to bake them....I am so sure you will love them :)

      Delete
  4. Pies look so cute.. Very well explained

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pies look so cute and yummy..

    ReplyDelete