Passion

The art of classic cooking

Sunday 1 March 2015

Bhel Puri Recipe ( Indian Chaat )

Bhel Puri - Sweet, spicy, tangy, crunchy and many more textures in every spoonful. It is one of the ultimate chaats here...

Bhel Puri

Everything you love about Bhel puri is in this recipe. It is sweet, tangy, spicy, crunchy.... This is my Athai's ( MIL) favorite chaat. After my marriage, when I asked my SIL Gomathi about my athai's favorite dishes, the first dish she mentioned was this Bhel Puri. Naturally I learnt it immediately. I was little skeptical about this though. How could Bhel Puri be one's favorite dish?! ( Yes, you guessed it right, I am not a big fan of it. Even back at home I was an exception :) )

Then, when I made all the chutneys and tried the first batch, I couldn't believe it - I loved it. Maybe I hadn't tasted the real bhel puri so far....Anyway it was fantastic that I ate an entire bowl myself: )

There are 3 main things that I love about in this bhel puri -

  • The first one is the Sweet dates and tamarind chutney. Like I said in my last post it has the perfect sweet and sourness balance and adds super zing to this dish.
  • The next one is the Puffed rice that is tossed in all the flavours from the vegetables and the chutneys.
  • And the final thing is my favorite Sev that adds perfect crunchiness to all these goodness. For me it is one of the main things that ties this dish.
I like to top mine with loads of sev on top...

Bhel Puri

 

Bhel Puri

Sweet, spicy tangy, crunchy Bhel Puri. Prep time:  Cook time:  Total time: Yield: 1 serving
INGREDIENTS:
Puffed Rice / Pori - 1 cup
Sev - 1/4 cup + for sprinkling on top
Sweet Chutney - 2 tbsp
Green Chutney - 1 tsp
Finely Chopped Onion - 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Finely Chopped Tomato - 3/4 tbsp
Grated Carrot - 1 tbsp
Grated Cucumber - 1 tbsp
Grated raw Mango - 1 tbsp
Boiled Potato - 1 tbsp
Coriander Leaves - for garnishing

METHOD:
1) Prepare all your vegetables. Take onion, tomato, carrot,cucumber, raw mango, potato in a large bowl.
pic name pic name
2) Add the chutneys and mix well.
pic name pic name
3) Finally add the Puffed rice / Pori and Sev. Miw well. Garnish with coriander leaves.
pic name pic name

Serve immediately!!!!

Bhel Puri
For additional taste and crunchiness, sprinkle some sev over the top..

Bhel Puri


NOTES:
1) You can prepare the Chutneys in advance and store them in refrigerator.
2) Once you mix the Pori and Sev, serve immediately else it will turn soft. It tastes good that way too though I prefer the crunchy way. So, serve accordingly.
3) You can change the amount of vegetables as per your taste.

18 comments:

  1. This is my all time fav..well.made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard and can't remember if I have ever tasted this dish. For sure I love those flavors which is my fav too. Yum to its goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the description of sweet, tangy, spicy, crunchy...looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom dad and pappu's fav..!!♥♥ must try on them..;-) The dish looks smashing with all the desi flavours in it which makes our lips quiver to grab and eat it..:-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jayanthi:)
    Isn't it funny how someone can suggest a dish that you think you don't love and then with a couple of tweaks, lo and behold you can't get it down fast enough, lol...Yours looks delicious and I love the combination of vegetables and chutneys!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Jayanthi

    ReplyDelete
  6. yumm yumm chaat!! lovely clicks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks super delicious !!! Pls send me a plate here!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Indian food but I still have lots to learn! Thank you for sharing this beautiful recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow ...lovely my favourite dish ...superb delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my favorite one.. but didn't tried it..... I bookmarked....... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. mammmmmaaaamiaaaaaaaaaaa
    love this recipe all time

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a versatile dish, can be made to suit all taste buds. love ur presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy & mouthwatering chaat...........pass me one plate.
    www.tastentips.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love bhelpuri, and this one is so MOUTH-WATERING! Perfectly sweet, tangy, spicy, crunchy, and looks AMAZING too!

    Anu-My Ginger Garlic Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yum! What an infusion of flavor this is.

    ReplyDelete